- Manufacturer details


The original locomotive, carriage and wagon workshops were built by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) adjoining their original passenger terminus near the Vauxhall end of Nine Elms Lane in 1839, but suffered a disastrous fire in March 1841. They were rebuilt and from 1843 were used to construct over one hundred new locomotives for the company. Within twenty years of their original construction it became apparent that the restricted site originally chosen would be inadequate for the future needs of the company and so the facility was moved to a larger site south of the main line between 1861 and 1865. The second Nine Elms works was responsible for the construction of more than 700 steam locomotives before closure in 1909, to the designs of Joseph Hamilton Beattie, his son William George Beattie, William Adams and Dugald Drummond. The company enlarged the workshops on a number of occasions and at its height in 1904 the locomotive works employed 2,438 men, building 22 and repairing 450 locomotives in a year.

Engines build by Nine Elms Works

Forum topics about this manufacturer

There are no specific topics regarding this manufacturer.

Write A Comment

Sorry, you have to be signed in to write a comment.