This locomotive was built by Manning Wardle & Company at their Boyne Engine Works in Leeds. It was supplied new to Logan & Hemingway, a firm of engineering contractors who during the latter half of the 19th century and the first third of the 20th century worked mainly on railway (and allied) constructions. In 1935 Logan & Hemingway went into liquidation and MW 1210 was sold to the Cranford Ironstone Company of Kettering (Northamptonshire) where it received the nameplates Sir Berkeley from a scrapped Manning Wardle engine. At the end of 1957 Cranford Ironstone acquired a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST to replace Sir Berkeley which then became redundant, except for occasional duties as a stand-in for any engine that was undergoing a boiler washout, or some other maintenance operation. Transferred to the associated Byfield Quarries in 1959, it worked for a year alongside MW 1235 (a class K of 1893) but the condition of the latter deteriorated rapidly and it was cannibalised to provide spares for Sir Berkeley. In 1960 Sir Berkeley was yet again made redundant and with its days as a commercially useful engine over it languished in a siding for a couple of years before being formally retired in 1963. MW 1210 was bought in 1964 by Roger Crombleholme, just in time to save it from being scrapped, and was eventually brought to the Worth Valley Railway where its original weatherboard was refitted, having been discovered at Cranford. Now it is at the Middleton Railway on loan from the Vintage Carriages Trust.
|Diameter driving wheels||914 mm|
|Weight full||19 ton|
|Cilinders||2: 304x457 mm|
|Water capacity||2 m3|
|1891||Build for||Logan & Hemingway||L||/ 30|
|1905||Renumbered by||Logan & Hemingway||L||/ 10|
|1935||Sold to||Cranford Ironstone Company||L||Sir Berkeley/|
|1964||Sold to||Private owner||L||Sir Berkeley/|
|1970||Sold to||Vintage Carriages Trust||L||Sir Berkeley/|
Links to other sites
Forum topics regarding this engine:
There are no specific topics regarding this engine.