Locomotive 5096 has heritage significance as an excellent and highly intact example of the first design for a standard goods engine for the NSWR, demonstrating a successful synthesis of contemporary British and North American locomotive design practice. It is the first locomotive to be built by Clyde Engineering Granville and reflects lengthy lobbying by both unions and industry to establish local manufacturing of railway locomotives. It is an excellent example of a standard goods engine in close to original configuration, having never been fitted with electric lighting and retaining its original 3,650 gallon tender. It is rare as an extant example of a very saturated steam engines to survive. Locomotive 5096 has the potential to reveal information about the local production of locomotives for the NSWGR, being the first locomotive produced by Clyde Engineering. As an example of a D50 Class locomotive, it has research potential as an example of a standard goods engine in close to original configuration.
|Diameter driving wheels||1295 mm|
|Weight full||63 ton|
|Grate area||3 m2|
|Cilinders||2: 533x660 mm|
|1907||Build for||New South Wales Government Railways||D50||/ 356|
|1924||Renumbered by||New South Wales Government Railways||D50||/ 5096|
|1966||Retired||New South Wales Government Railways||D50||/ 5096|
|1972||Take over by||New South Wales Rail Transport Museum||D50||/ 5096|
Links to other sites
Forum topics regarding this engine:
There are no specific topics regarding this engine.