Locomotive 1301 was constructed as a 4-4-0 tender engine by Beyer Peacock J.J Company at their Gorton Foundry, as works number 1624 in 1877. Following erection, it entered service on the NSWR, given road number 79. In 1896, due to traction shortages on the expanding Sydney suburban network, a program of converting the surplus C(79) class tender engines to 4-4-2 tank locomotives was commenced, and in December 1896, C79 entered service in this guise. As the duties were taken over by the newer S class it was displaced from the suburban service and transferred to other services on tramways and other light lines, being noted at Carlingford, Casino, the Picton-Mittagong loop line, and the Yass Tramway. The locomotive was renumbered in 1924 to 1301. Locomotive 1301 was allocated to the Vintage Train locomotive roster in 1962, though it frequently deputised for motive power shortages on lines where the class was formerly well known such as Yass and Kempsey. It was withdrawn in September 1963, having been condemned originally on 17 November 1967. It was transferred to The Rail Transport Museum, firstly to Enfield then Thirlmere, arriving in mid 1975.
Links to other sites
Forum topics regarding this engine:
There are no specific topics regarding this engine.