The 141 R 1199 is owned by the SNCF, based in Nantes (France), managed by Loco Vapeur R 1199 association. The engine left the Baldwin factory, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in February 1947. After its arrival in France, it was assigned to Le Mans Depot on July 17, 1947 where it would stay until its scrapping on August, 25 1971. It did travel 1,627,474 kms on the Western lines around Le Mans towards Mézidon, Rennes, Auray, Nantes, Tours and even when reused, towards Rouen, La Rochelle and Vierzon. In 1975, a projected transfer to the San Diego Railways Museum - California - broke down and the locomotive was sheltered in Vitré (East of Brittany). The locomotive got a registration as an heritage item in 1984, under the aegis of the Governments Cultural Regional Services in Brittany.Upon request of railway workers in Nantes, the engine was transfered in August 1992 to SNCF Depot in Nantes-Blottereau in the purpose of its restoration. The association is registered in February 1993. Because the engine belongs to SNCF, an convening had to be made with the Loco vapeur R 1199 society, that would be signed in 1995.
|Diameter driving wheels||2100 mm|
|Weight full||116 ton|
|Cilinders||2: 480x720 mm|
|Fuel capacity||coal: 8 ton|
|Water capacity||24 m3|
Links to other sites
Forum topics regarding this engine:
There are no specific topics regarding this engine.